Alternatives: The Next Generation
The alternatives landscape has dramatically changed in the last decade. Managers are working harder to find the “white space” in the market, while investors must be open to unique and interesting takes on traditional strategies. Panelists discuss the merit of innovative ideas like multi-asset class investing, illiquid credit and structured equity, and explore how capital allocators can get comfortable with the next generation of alternatives.
Moderator: Fred Pollock, Managing Director, GCM Grosvenor
• David Kay, Partner, Tenor Capital Management
• Benji Patzik, Director, Segal Marco Advisors
• Jayun Kim, Portfolio Manager, Government of Singapore Investment Corporation Private Ltd.
Going with the (Deal) Flow
In the past year, deal volume has increased while global deal count has declined, meaning larger check sizes on average at increasingly higher valuations. With an abundance of capital, longer holding periods and the significant purchasing power of strategic and financial buyers, competition for quality assets has been particularly fierce at the larger, more price efficient end of the market. A panel of experts explore how LPs and allocators are managing the shift and how GPs can stand out in this environment. LPs will discuss their approach to various asset classes and portfolio allocation strategy. GPs will focus on how they remain competitive and find value despite the bubbling pricing market in their respective asset classes.
Moderator: Stephen Cammock, Vice President & Principal, GCM Grosvenor
• Matthew Coyne, Vice President, TorreyCove
• Tony Lee, Managing Partner, One Rock Capital
• Angela Miller-May, Chief Investment Officer, Chicago Teachers' Pension Fund
• Manny Ybarra, Founder & President, Pillar Commercial
ODD: Mitigating Operational Risk
Operational risk is a type of risk that is not compensated with a risk premium. This session will highlight the importance of operational due diligence across multiple asset classes. The team will provide examples of common red flags that should be identified and evaluated when performing due diligence. The session will cover operational risk from the lens of a GP as well as a LP. GPs must create an operational infrastructure which minimizes operational risk while LPs must perform operational due diligence to identify and mitigate operational risk.
Moderator: Ivaldo Basso, Managing Director, GCM Grosvenor
• Chris Cotton, Principal – Financial Operating Partner, Summit Park L.L.C
• Chris Lombardy, Managing Director, Duff & Phelps
• Stefanie Platnick, Vice President, GCM Grosvenor
• Dasha Ziska, Vice President, GCM Grosvenor
The Perfect Pitch (Book)
In a crowded market, it’s important to ensure that your pitch book has clear messaging and its text, charts and graphics are easy to understand and add value. In this session, industry experts provide tangible techniques for developing marketing materials to help your pitch stand out from the others.
• Sharyn Murray, Vice President, GCM Grosvenor
• Eleni Patel, Senior Vice President, GCM Grosvenor
• Ya Tung, Director/Partner, GCM Grosvenor
I Want A Diverse Organization!
As our industry works toward creating a robust pipeline for diverse funds, we must mirror those efforts in our own organizations. In this session, industry veterans discuss best practices for recruiting, developing and retaining women and diverse talent, while working toward creating a more inclusive business environment.
Moderator: Sandra Hurse, Managing Director, GCM Grosvenor
• Debra Somers, Head of Career Development, Girls Who Invest
• Chavon Sutton, Director - Diversity and Inclusion, Bureau of Asset Management, Office of the New York City Comptroller
• Lloyd Trotter, Found and Managing Partner, GeNX360